Saturday, August 13, 2011

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly






It might be unusual for a blogger (but  perhaps common among artists) to chronicle their failures....but after a day of experimental shooting on the creek that runs under the Teegarden Bridge I don't have much to show for it other than failure.  The weather forecast was supposed to be overcast, which is ideal for shooting waterfalls, creeks, or other moving water.  But the sun came out in full force making for rough shooting conditions for someone who has not used a digital SLR on this subject matter before.  Trying to sink my chops into some new digital territory provided difficult and nearly fruitless. 


However, the hour I spent along the water in the woods with a friend shooting almost a hundred frames was very enjoyable....it wasn't until I got home to download the results that my heart sunk faster than a poorly tossed skipping stone on the creek.  The only real success was a couple shots of me at work in my "lucky" faded pink Nike golf hat that I've worn on every shoot for the last 5 years.  It says Nike Golf....but I don't believe I've ever worn it to golf...but I never leave it behind when I head out to shoot....a good cap is a must to keep glare out of your eyes as you look in the viewfinder.  I would say it is the most invaluable accessory in photography!






Today's failure got me to thinking about the first chapter in Genesis, and the seven days of Creation of the earth.  When God finished His work each day....well He was able to pronouce it good! 


Genesis 1 (KJV)
"and God saw that it was good."






Unlike our perfect Heavenly Father I will share the best I was able to do...good, bad, or ugly...I did enjoy trying to capture what He declared was good in His world.  And I had previously read a perfect thought to contemplate alongside an imperfect photo shoot.




By Horatius Bonar:  “The Old and New Creation”
The Goodness. He gazed on it, and pronounced it all very good. Each part of it was good; the whole "very good." It is good in every sense; good in the sense of beauty; good in the sense of subserving beneficent and loving ends; earth and sea, hill and valley, river and forest, all mutually helping each other. All is goodness! Yes, a marvellous whole of unutterable goodness. Death is not here, nor ferocity, nor warfare. All is good, very good. The earth is full of the goodness of the Lord. God delighteth in His handiwork. And though much marred and defaced, it still exhibits its original excellence. But it will do so more gloriously in the times of the restitution of all things, when there shall be the new heavens and new earth wherein dwelleth righteousness. "Behold, I make all things new."


1 comment:

  1. These are awesome shots, Allison! The composition works! You're being wayy too hard on yourself! But that's what great artists do :)

    ReplyDelete