Monday, July 25, 2011

Bird's Foot Trefoil (what?)


I didn't make that name up, I promise.  It is the name of a wildflower, or wildweed, depending on you view of it.  It came from Europe to North America, and like many plants and animals not indigenous to our country they can tend to be invasive to our native ecosystem.  (My nephew grudgingly chases away European Starlings from birdfeeders every year because of their harm to native songbirds!)  But native or not, this yellow flower grows up in our field and it seemed to keep me busy behind the lens for quite some time this evening.  Here are some of the results....wildflower or wildweed...you be the judge. However you classify it, I think it is just one more dainty bloom of color from a loving Creator!


Upclose and personal



Interestingly the buds are red, and then they turn this vibrant yellow


Old Hymn:  “Thy Word is Like a Garden,  Lord”
By Edwin Hodder (1863)

Thy Word is like a garden, Lord, with flowers bright and fair;
And every one who seeks may pluck a lovely cluster there.
Thy Word is like a deep, deep mine; and jewels rich and rare
Are hidden in its mighty depths for every searcher there.


O may I love Thy precious Word, may I explore the mine,
May I its fragrant flowers glean, may light upon me shine!
O may I find my armor there! Thy Word my trusty sword,
I’ll learn to fight with every foe the battle of the Lord.


Trefoil mixed with some clover. Bees and bunnies unite!
















** Once again, I had an assistant in the field for this photo series.  My camera strap was covered in kitty fur as she was even cuddling my monopod as she figure eight crossed around my legs.  Nice to have an experienced field kitty along though...just in case we ran across any mice!

No comments:

Post a Comment