Monday, July 18, 2011

What's In A Name?


Yesterday I heard an old hymn that inspired me to take a look back at some old nature photographs I shot over the last ten years. I thought about the words to this hymn and decided to share these photos with others, hoping they would praise our King and Creator for His handiwork.   I thought it would make a good name for the blog.

HOW GREAT THOU ART
O Lord my God, when I in awesome wonder
Consider all the worlds thy hands have made,
I see the stars, I hear the rolling thunder,
Thy power throughout the universe displayed:

Refrain
Then sings my soul, my Savior God, to thee:
How great thou art! How great thou art!
Then sings my soul, my Savior God, to thee:
How great thou art! How great thou art!

When through the woods and forest glades I wander
And hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees,
When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,
And hear the brook and feel the gentle breeze:

Refrain

When Christ shall come with shout of acclamation
And take me home, what joy shall fill my heart!
Then I shall bow in humble adoration,
And there proclaim, My God, how great thou art!

It has been a while since I have practiced this hobby, but I hope to publish photos, old and new, accompanied by Scriptures, hymns, or quotes.  I hope you all will enjoy them and look at the world around you with fresh eyes and reflect on the God who has made it all.  

What does the sign off "Stay behind the lens" mean?  As a photographer you never forget to look for something beautiful, true, and amazing that God has made when you are behind the lens.  So as you go through your day, whether you have a camera in hand or not, "Stay behind the lens" means don't forget to look at what the Lord has wrought...if you are paying attention you will see it everywhere!

Revelation 4:11
Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created.




 

This was taken April 2007, on a cold spring morning with a mix of rain and sleet falling....this male house finch didn't mind the weather apparently, and perched outside the kitchen window, while I shot a bunch of photos of him. His coloring appears particularly vibrant thanks to the overcast skies.

No comments:

Post a Comment