Saturday, October 29, 2011

Hunting Timber Tigers with a Wild Cat



I had a stalker!




At the end of last week I took a sunny afternoon walk in the woods, and the next day I took a rainy afternoon walk in the woods.  Amazingly, I didn't see the same thing twice!  It is incredible how a water soaked forest looks completely different from a dry forest beaming with sunlight.

I had a surprise visitor join me on the sunny afternoon.  I don't mind a photo assistant, but to venture into the woods with my kitty pretty much guarantees I will see no critters of any kind!  Or so I thought.  My kitty is sweet, loving, and all she wants to do is cuddle....that is with her people.  When they are not around....she turns into a bloody huntress.  Her favorite pastime is leaving her half mutilated critter corpses on the porch steps.  But she is just doing her job as an outdoor kitty....so I love the gentle little girl...but the area critters hear her little bell and they RUN!

She crept up on me stealthy as I began my walk.  I could hardly move an inch because she was cuddling my legs and feet and I kept almost stepping on her.  Finally we tap danced our way to the back of the trail and I stood around looking for something, anything interesting.  The crunchy, leafy bed of the forest floor was making a lot of noise under my feet and I thought there was no way I would see any birds or animals.  Then I noticed my kitty....perched quietly on a rock.  Huh.  Good idea!  So I found a big rock and had a seat.  Twenty minutes and a lot of kitty cuddles later....some chipmunks started scurrying around.  I grabbed some shots but I thought that it would never last....they would detect my kitty and scram.  But her love for her people won out, and she stayed put on her rock....although she would perk up now and then and get that huntress look in her eyes.  Soon the birds returned to that spot in the woods and I grabbed a bunch of shots of a female woodpecker.  (As seen in my previous blog post this week.)  Well here is part 2 of 4 posts related to my dual day wanderings in the woods.  Enjoy these shots of the "timber tigers."





Portrait of a Huntress





















Hymn:  The Seasons are Fixed by Wisdom Divine
(Paraphrase of  Psalm 104)

The seasons are fixed by wisdom divine,
The slow-changing moon show forth God’s design;
The sun in his circuit his maker obeys,
And running his journey hastes not nor delays.

The Lord makes the night, when, leaving their lair,
The lions creep forth, God’s bounty to share;
The Lord makes the morning, when beasts steal away
And men are beginning the work of the day.

How many and wise Thy works are, O Lord!
The earth with the wealth of wisdom is stored;
The sea bears in safety the ships to and fro,
And creatures unnumbered it shelters below.

 

Thy creatures all look to Thee for their food;
Thy hands open wide, they gather the good;
Thy face Thou concealest, in anguish they yearn;
Their breath Thou withholdest, to dust they return.

Thy Spirit, O Lord, makes life to abound,
The earth is renewed, and fruitful the ground;
To God ascribe glory and wisdom and might,
Let God in His creatures forever delight.




 

Fall Forest Colors


 Before the Lord’s might earth trembles and quakes,
The mountains are rent, and smoke from them breaks;
The Lord I will worship through all of my days,
Yea, while I have being my God I will praise.




Rejoicing in God, my thought shall be sweet,
While sinners depart in ruin complete;
My soul, bless Jehovah, His name be adored,
Come, praise Him, ye people, and worship the Lord.


 





It was nice spending an hour in the woods "hunting" with my kitty.  Funny how the Lord's creatures can teach us a lot about the meanings of important Biblical ideas...like patience!  You never know what patience is until you are sitting on a cold rock in the woods for an hour, trying to be still, quiet, doing nothing but waiting!  Even though I was cold and sore at the end of it, the patience paid off.     So, I am grateful that my kitty came along and taught be a hunting lesson, and reminded me of an important lesson from the Bible too about the big "P" word.  Patience!





Romans 8:25
But if we hope for that we see not, then do we with patience wait for it.









No comments:

Post a Comment